Saturday, January 14, 2017

10 for 10: A sappy anniversary post

As of yesterday my husband and I have been married for ten years.

Ten years is a decade.

We've been married for a decade.

Can I be honest with you for a sec? I heard someone on the radio a few months ago say that if he had 100 lives he would want to be married 100 times. And I thought to myself, "Eh. Maybe 50-50." Marriage is hard work.

But there is so much good. There's good in the transformation of my own heart and there is deep and abiding joy that comes from the long-term covenant relationship between two people.

So, in honor of a decade of ups and downs, I want to share 10 of my favorite and/or most memorable moments from the past 10 years.

1) Our Wedding Seriously, I had such a good time. It wasn't fancy, we had a Krispy Kreme donut "cake" and a coffee "bar." But we danced all afternoon and it was just so much fun. My advice to any bride-to-be: Try to have fun at your wedding. (Side note: We were SO YOUNG! Who let those babies get married?!

2) Birth of James I remember when I found out I was pregnant, "Uhhh, hun?" I remember when my water broke. I remember saying yes to the epidural, pushing for 2 hours, then holding that sweet boy in my arms and thinking, "I didn't know it was possible to love another person this much."

3) Preaching for the first time I was pretty sure that I was moving toward seminary and pastoring. I was pretty sure the Lord had given me the green light to preach. But actually doing it. Ya'll, I don't even know how to describe it. I felt more right in my own skin that morning than I ever had before. And embracing the way the Lord made me has been such a gift to our marriage (trust me, Nathan 100% agrees... I'm less insecure than I was before which makes me much better to get along with!).

4) Birth of Liam I remember finding out I was pregnant (that time was in a Chili's restroom--gross but super funny). Everything that next year is kind of a blur. Two babies 19 months apart does a number on your memory.

5) Trip to the Transportation Museum For James' birthday one year he asked to go to the NC Transportation Museum. That was before Annia was born so our four person family trecked out there, road on a train and a turn table, we looked through the sheds and had a blast. It was so much fun to celebrate James and watch him light up!


6) Two miscarriages The greatest grief I have ever known came on the heels of losing two sweet babies. Samuel David's due date passes every November 30th and Cora Ann's on March 18th. For many couples grief like this draws them closer together; in our case I think it drove us apart for a time. I needed space from church and God to figure out what I felt and thought about him while Nathan continued to attend services every week. As the Lord drew me back to him our marriage grew stronger and our love deeper. 

7) Trip to the beach One summer before Annia was born the four of us took a vacation to the beach. It was such a sweet time of building sand castles, resting, and enjoying each other's company. The boys have high social fatigue any time we stay with other people. This trip was enjoyable because it was just us.

8) Annia's birth After our two miscarriages, my pregnancy with Annia and her healthy birth are precious to me in a way that is very special. Her name means "inexhaustible grace" and her middle name is Hope. In many ways she reminds us of the eternal faithfulness of the Lord.

9) Trip to Colorado When I was pregnant with Annia some friends of ours generously offered to fly us out to Colorado for a getaway. This trip was just me and Nathan and the Lord used it to remind me of his words, "how great the love the father has lavished on us.."


10) Hurt In the course of 10 years we've each taken turns hurting the other. I'd be lying if I said that some of the landmarks of our relationship weren't instances of sin or pain. Those moments still ache in my memory but the sting of them has faded.

Nathan and I often feel like we're total weirdos. We don't fit into the traditional boxes. He's emotional. I stuff my emotions. His giftings are toward one-on-one and mine are toward public speaking. But I think our weirds complement each other.


This life is hard and we're not perfect. But there's no one else I'd want to do it with.

Here's to the next 10 and many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment